Thursday, March 1, 2012

Introduction

So I'm a student at Drexel and I've been on co-op since September. Working can be dull, but at least I have plenty of free time and no homework to worry about. I wanted to use this extra time to work on some sort of geeky project but I couldn't really think of what to do...

I avoided anything related to robotics at first because I knew that I didn't have the resources or cash to create anything that wasn't thrown together with cheap hobby servos and popsicle sticks. I also felt that no matter what sort of robot I built, it would serve no practical purpose other than educating myself while working on it.

I never really got around to deciding upon a project and co-op was ending soon... I felt like a bum for wasting all that time. Then I found Makibox, the cheapest 3D printer I've ever seen. I almost bought a RepRap, then, a Printrbot, and finally as the price dropped more with the announcement of the Makibox I just couldn't say no. (I think I was the 6th person to back the project) Sure it is small, but Ive got faith in Jon Buford and can't wait for it to arrive in the mail. The funding just ended yesterday and reached over 200% of the goal and almost $100,000. 


After throwing down the cash for a small 3D printer, I ran into a predicament... what was I going to print?! I've had plenty of experience modeling and can really design and make anything that will fit into the printer's output area. Then I went back to thinking about robots again. Did some research. Left it alone. Did some more research. Thought some more. Left it alone. 

Then weeks later after getting frustrated with myself. It was a Friday at 3am, and I I bought 12 AX-12+ servos from Dynamixel. These things are priced around $45 but I was able to get them used for much cheaper.
I had decided to build a quadruped robot...      That's where this blog really starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment